Home / Archive by category "Kefalonia Churches & Monasteries"

Kefalonia Churches & Monasteries

Holy Metropolis of Kefalonia in Argostoli

Holy Metropolis of Kefalonia in Argostoli
The administrative offices of the Church of Kefalonia are located in a lovely neoclassical building. The structure also serves as the metropolitan’s quarters. The new Cathedral was built in 1957 at Vergoti avenue in Argostoli. Prior the 1953’s earthquakes it was located in Lithostroto str. at Sotiros church . Its temple comes from the old church of the Holy Virgin of Fousato and many icons are the work of the great artist Theodore Poulakis. Contact Info: Tel: 26710-22231
Read More

Monastery of the Virgin Mary at Sissia

Monastery of the Virgin Mary at Sissia
A 13th century monastery overlooking Lourdas bay, the Virgin Mary at Sissia is believed to have been founded by St. Francis of Assisi as a Catholic monastic establishment, only to be converted to the Orthodox denomination years later. Among the treasures belonging to the monastery is a 17th century icon by Stefanos Tsangarolas of the Virgin Mary, now exhibited at the Ecclesiastic Museum of St. Andrew.
Read More

Monastery of the Virgin Mary Kipouria

Monastery of the Virgin Mary Kipouria
The monastery of the Virgin Mary Kipouria was founded in 1750. The name Kipouria comes from the Greek word for gardens, and was given to reference the many orchards and gardens cultivated by the monks in the hopes that the manastery might be self sufficient. The monastery suffered substantial damage twice in the past, once in 1915 from a mistaken attack by the French, and later in the 1953 earthquake. Reconstruction was undertaken following these events, and is continued to this day by the now l...
Read More

Convent of St. Gerasimos in Omala

Convent of St. Gerasimos in Omala
This convent is the unofficial center of religious life on the island as the convent is attached to a spacious church dedicated to Kefalonia’s patron saint, St. Gerasimos. Accounts of his life revere St. Gerasimos as a healer, a teacher, and a man who generally promoted peace. The convent at the foot of Mt. Aenos was established in the 1560’s by St. Gerasimos himself following the repeated requests of the locals. The saint’s relics have been preserved and are exhibited for public worship on St. ...
Read More

Convent of St. Andrew the Apostle in Peratata

Convent of St. Andrew the Apostle in Peratata
Originally established in Byzantine times, the convent was restored in 1579 when three spiritual sisters purchased the land where the chapel of the Apostle once stood and converted it into a convent. New life was again breathed into the establishment with the arrival in 1639 of a young Greek-Romanian princess who when taking the veil, brought with her a sizeable fortune, as well as religious treasures from Mount Athos. Among these was the holy remains of St. Andrew’s foot, in which one can disce...
Read More
Top